Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Welcome... To the Mental Dojo.

First, I must admit that I stole the name for my blog from a friend of mine named Tim. Like me, Tim was a school teacher and had a great sense of humor. A lifelong martial artist, Tim would often tell his students how when they were entering his classroom, they were entering his "Mental Dojo." I always thought that was a funny story, and when I was thinking what I wanted to create for my own blog, this phrase kept popping up in my head... Tim, if you ever come across this blog, contact me and let me know how much I owe you for the name.

There is no shortage of "how to" videos and "instructionals" from Internet-Masters. Any blue belt with a camcorder can, and is, putting out a ton of videos, showing you how to do everything from a scissor sweep to a go-go plata (if you don't know what either of those terms mean, then move along to the next blog). The purpose of this blog (or my hope at least) is to provide a forum to discuss the mental aspect of our sport and how the way we approach our training affects how we perform on and off the mats.

I suppose this is the part where I list all my credentials and why you should care about what I have to say. Well, for starters, I am a black belt in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. I am proud to say that my black belt comes from a very short lineage leading back to Helio Gracie. I received my black belt after 10 years of training from Master Carlos Enrique Elias, better known by his nickname of "Caique". Caique, now a red/black belt master, received his black belt from Helio Gracie himself and his red/black belt from Rickson Gracie. Caique's best friends and training partners growing up were none other than Rickson and Relson Gracie. I have competed in BJJ tournaments, submission grappling, as well as fighting professionally in MMA. I suppose it is the latter that has forced me to think more about the mental aspect of combat sports, thus, leading me to creating this blog. Perhaps a way for me to think out loud if you will, and when possible, receive feedback from anyone who has the same experience I am going through or can offer words of wisdom.

As far as education goes, I received an economics and business management degree from Albion College and and my teaching degree from Wayne State University. I currently teach middle school as well as help run the biggest and most successful BJJ and Muay Thai gym in the state of Michigan called Warrior Way Martial Arts. I am married to an incredible woman named Aimee who is the most supportive person I've ever known and puts up with all my hours of training, cutting weight, injuries, fights and tournaments (thank you sweetheart!)

You are now about to enter The Mental Dojo....

9 comments:

  1. Looks great Angelo. Happy to be a follower. Great idea and best of luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could not imagine a better man, teacher or mentor to create a blog about BJJ. Watching your evolution in intellectual achievement and skill even over the relatively short time we have been together has been inspirational. Your readers and followers will benefit from their time and study of your words.

    With a pride swelling heart,

    Dr. AAP

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great dude - I look forward to reading.

    Kyle C.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all for the kind words. The love and support I get from my friends has helped me get to where I am today, so I thank each and every one of you. I hope this blog proves to be something valuable and gives you back even a small piece of what you all share with me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome: there aren't enough BJJ black belts blogging regularly, so I hope you keep it up. I look forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay, I signed in. Can't type much, my elbow still hurts from yesterday. I really like the blog! Should be an interesting blog, look forward to seeing what else is on your mind.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is enterprise associated knowledge gaining article. This put up is truly the first-class on this valuable subject matter. aikido

    ReplyDelete